Following the Organization of American States (OAS) “First Ladies Hemispheric Conference” held in Chile in 1995, a significant outcome was a meeting of Nongovernmental Organisations (NGOs) which focus on rural women and rural communities. Our First Lady, with the support of the Inter-American Institute for Co-operation on Agriculture (IICA), called a number of existing NGOs to formulate the guidelines for the establishment of the Network of Rural Women Producers, Trinidad and Tobago (NRWPTT). NRWPTT was formed in 1995 and is a national umbrella organization comprising a membership of over 60 small businesses and individuals.
The network was registered in 1998, as a non for profit organization, with the Ministry of Legal Affairs.
After fifteen years of existence, we are pleased to record very good working relationships with national and regional organizations.
Among these are:
- The Ministry of Food Production
- Commonwealth Foundation
- Tourism Development Company
- Ministry of Gender Affairs
- The University of the West Indies (UWI)
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of National Diversity and Social Integration
- The Rural Development Company
- Caribbean Industrial Research Institute (CARIRI)
- Ministry of Labour
- The Caribbean Network of Rural Women (CANROP)
We maintain membership in the Network of Non-Governmental Organizations for the Advancement of Women, (with UN ECOSOC Status) Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW) (with ECOSOC UN Status).